Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Kilometer Of The Man That I Used To Be!

Now, my boy and I are having a particularly difficult running year in 2012! He keeps struggling to get pain free and dial in orthotics. I am trying to dial in my form, move to lower running shoes (heel to toe drop of 5 or 6 millimeters), and figure out how much running my knee and back can still handle. But as I was running today and thinking about turning 100 kilometers of age in a year and three months or so, it occurred to me that my son and I could actually train identically at this point, so long as mine was in kilometers while his was in miles! I could run 30 Kilometers for a week, he could run thirty miles. It would take about the same amount of time. I could do 6 minute kilometer repeats to his 6 minute mile repeats. I could run 2:30 .5K to his 2:30 half mile repeats, and run easy at 7 minute kilometers to his 7 minute miles. You get the drift.....but, we could actually have the same training plans!! Interesting! Anyway, got in 5 runs this week on a shaky knee and a sore back for a total of 35 Kilometers. Weather was reasonable all week, as another monsoon cycle came in and is expected all next week. That makes it cooler toward sundown and even provides a small amount of rain. I was reading a runners blog from phoenix where he was talking about the absence of monsoon rains for the past 6 weeks being replaced by those haboobs.....desert wind storms. He has had to do most of his running on treadmills this summer. Also was reading an article today on the probability of a 6 or 8 year dust bowl cycle for the bread belt due to climate change....I am beginning to stock up on tuna, rice, and peanut butter!

No comments: