Total Pageviews

Monday, July 6, 2020

My Favorite Race Ever!



Ivans Utah is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. It is west of St. George near Keyenta and the Shivwitz Indian reservation. I know it sounds Jewish. Actually a band of Paiutes. So anyway, it is at altitude and hilly and rocky as all hell. Anyway, they advertised a race that sounded about as perfect as you could imagine. The race was in late April, right when Ernie was due to visit. What I absolutely loved about this race was that it was a handicapped event. Runners were released based on age/sex categories. For example, 75+ and -7 year old females....20 seconds later, same men and boys. Delayed starts ranged from 20-40 seconds early, and up to a minute for those in late 20’s early 30’s. Was a copy of the system used for the Dipsea road race in California. The first 25 finishers got a trophy. That was it. Very large field of all ages and sexes. Ernie and I were released (50-55 male) with women 35-9. Course was straight down hill, around a parking lot circle, and back up. I went down way way too fast. Climb proved to be a gasping crawl. This agony picture is with about a third of a mile to go. Got past quickly by 2 20’s flying back to the finish. Ernie got his award, ending up 23rd. They butchered the shit out of his name but I’m not sure I have ever seen him happier. I ended up 11th. I would love to do one of those in a year and a half if I was still running at age 70!

No comments: