Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Heart failure plus aging!


 One of my favorite sharknado picks of all time! I ran my probable last ever race this spring. Felt awful. It was just a 5K, and I struggled to run a 7:30k/12 minute per mile pace. Once ran 40 consecutive 5K’s in the  3:40-3:44/sub 6 minute mile range. So I’m pretty much half the man, at 72, that I once was at 33-36. Part of it is having the 2 ablations and the pacemaker implant. At 71 was diagnosed with early heart failure with an ejection fraction of 40. They initially put me on entresto, but after 6 months, it did little to improve my heart function, and made me feel weak and dizzy every time I stood up. So they changed that to low dose jardiance, and I feel much better. My resting HR and sleeping HR have each dropped 10 beats a minute, which I assume is a good thing, but who knows. I see the 2 heart guys for another ultrasound late in the fall, to see if I’ve had any heart remodeling or an improved ejection fraction. In the mean time, I try and run 5 days a week for about 20 miles, and spin a half hour on the Exercycle and lift weights 2 days a week. This aging and slowing down is a drag, but what else can you do. Assuming I can keep going,  it will just keep getting tougher….

No comments: