Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Leukopenia!


Had my annual physical the other day. Most of the news was good with one glaring exception. My cholesterol and blood pressure numbers have gone down substantially. Think it may be due to the use of Omega 3 fish oil supplementation. I had read an article that said that most of the diseases of those over 50 is related to inflammatory responses in the body, and Omega 3 fish oil is line of defense number one. Now for the bad news. Normal white blood cell counts range from 4000 to 10000. over the past 4 years, mine has dropped steadily from 4400 down currently to 3700. 3500 marks a dangerous level, as you gain susceptibility to a great deal of bacterial and viral diseases. This condition is initially called Leukopenia. It is often an indication of other diseases. There are about 30 ugly diseases with white blood cell count issues as a major symptom. This includes those immuno attack diseases like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. There are a ton of cancers including hairy cell leukemia that first start as leukopenia. And then there are those really rare conditions like Aplastic Anemia. My mom suffered with this for a long time. They now have some better early treatments for this condition including a shot which causes your bone marrow to kick it up a notch and produce more cells. Anyway, the doc wants to retest my count in about three months to see if it keeps falling. I researched on those googlytubes to see if there were any supplements that could be taken to improve your white blood cell count. There are 2.....zinc/copper supplementation and garlic. I will give those a shot. Never thought I'd live long or get out of this life without some difficulties, but sure don't want to have years of suffering. For now I will do what is in my power, and see what happens. Still want to have a nice big party at my 60th birthday and deb and my 20th anniversary, so I will keep that in focus. Sure is a crazy life, is it not?

No comments: