Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Struggling For Speed!


I recently watched the good Prefontaine movie again, not the Disney one, but the one staring Jared Letto from 1997 (now of 30 seconds to mars fame). There is a line in the movie performed by R. Lee Emery who is playing the Bill Bowerman character. It is on the subject of Bowermans retirement from coaching, which Steve Prefontaine is struggling to deal with. Bowerman says "He who runs against time has an adversary not subject to casualties". That quote really resonates with me.
Today I again faced "time" in an attempt to run a better 5K than the last effort. I failed. Now the course was mostly uneven dirt trails, so that would slow me down from just banging it out on the road. I finished in a dead heat with the 61 year old winner of the 60-64 year old age group. But in my 55-59 age group, I was bested by two 55 year olds and a 57 year old. I have been working hard on speed development over the last 4 weeks, but there seems to be no payoff as yet. Will have to see what the next year of training does or doesn't bring. Maybe I will be lucky not to LOSE more speed in the next year as opposed to picking any up.

1 comment:

Desert Dirt said...

Thomas, like the blog. How's your work with Benson coming along? He give you any speed specific workouts that you find helpful?