Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

An Exercise In Pain Tolerance!

On monday, I hit the gym again and set a new PR for the exercycle in my 30 minute bout. I hit 9.75 miles for a pace that converts to 19.5 mph. Had a little extra motivation because the chiropractor gym owner was standing behind me chatting to a few people for much of the ride. He is a douche who thinks he is a triathlete and runner who I beat a few years ago in his annual turkey trot, so I like to do anything I can to irritate him. Anyway, followed that up with the usual array of weight work. Today I went out to try again to do some jog intervals. Wasn't any better than saturday. The only difference was since I can't get past about 45 seconds before the knee pain gets bad, I just shortened the walk parts to about 15 or 20 seconds. Did this for about three miles. It was damn painful. Came home and returned a call to my friend BillyBob. He got the all clear on his bladder and kidneys, so no current cancer anywhere other than that minimal mesothelioma in his right lung. I told him that I didn't want to turn running, one of the most enjoyable activities of my life, into just an exercise in pain tolerance. So, I will back off for a bit and just try again later in the week to do the treadmill on crazy incline with less impact. This is either gonna be a very long return to running, or no return at all!

No comments: