Total Pageviews

Monday, February 2, 2015

Humiliated By The New Old!

On Sunday I ran my 2nd Super Sunday 5 mile race. Last year I finished 1st in the 60 to not dead age group. They changed the course by moving the start/finish to the bottom of the road a half mile or so from Centenial high school. The course rolls up and down while it climbs 2 1/2 miles, and then rolls back down. It was very cold, but I felt pretty good. I am a generally poor hill runner, and training somewhere that is pancake flat doesn't help much, but I felt strong all the way thru. I warmed down for an extra mile after the race, and then headed back to the finish area to see the posted results.....There were 4 guys from El Paso that all smoked me. Three of them had just turned 60 since last years race, and the one I finished a half minute behind was 66. I saw them all after the race and had never seen a one of them before. Very humbling experience. I know that as more folks age into the 60-69 year age group, I will start to finish more often out of the money, and since I will probably stop competing in the next year or so, it is o.k. But on a more difficult course than last year, I ran a few seconds faster, so all in all, it was a good performance.....
Technology of late has been driving me insane. Doesn't matter if it is windows, the apple laptop, the iphone, or the two versions of the ipads. Everything you do on each one seems to have some different process than the other. Even the two damned ipads, one a version 2, the other the air 5, have very different ways of accomplishing things. Apple products to me see to have lost some of their intuitive feel as these software systems evolve. Maybe it is just that I am an old fart.....hey kid, get away from my Ipad!

2 comments:

TerribleTerry said...

I find the same thing with gadgets nowadays. Take my navigation app on my phone for example. I want to be able to quickly enter (or say) and address and it just get on to telling me the directions. That's how it used to work. Nowadays you have to specify if you want to walk, bicycle, drive, etc. You have the option of goign to the website of the establishment at that location or navigating to it. Too many options....especially since most folks do all that as they cruise down the road. Instead of making improvements for the 95% of users....they add complexity that the "super-users" appreciate but make the rest of us scream.

Terrible Dad said...

Yah, I do understand that all of this software is getting so much more complex, but I think we are entering a temporary stage where, like in the early days, it is moving away from easy user interface. Once we get to the robots taking over and killing us, it will all improve!