Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Beautiful Race Day In Las Cruces!

This is my photo from the 10K from two weeks ago. They finally got put up today.
Today I headed to Las Cruces for the tumbleweed run for mesilla elementary school. Once I got to the registration table and got my number, I asked if I needed to write my name on it and age, and the gal said "no, it is just so we know who is on the course". It was at that moment I realized it was going to be a fun run with no awards. Weather was 58 degrees and sunny at the start. I thought that since it was not going to be a race with age groups, that I would try and experiment. The first mile was a gradual down hill, so I thought I would try and blast it and go under an eight minute mile. I did, and it worked, but then it made for more of a struggle for the last two miles. I did come thru the chute at a 5:31 per kilometer pace, so it was around a 27 minute time, so my experiment didn't change much. The garmin said it was 5.06 kilometers, so well laid out and an accurate distance. Course marshals and police did a nice job also. Followed that up with a trip to barnes and knobles at NMSU for a sandwich and coffee, and then over to Toucan for some gourmet groceries. Got home around 12:30 or so.....
Been texting and talking to my lifelong best bud Ernie today. His mother is probably pretty close to her end time and I appreciate how difficult this is for him. She was a 2nd mother to me also. We used to come home after high school to Ernie's house and eat cookies while Olga started cooking onions for whatever was being created for dinner....always had onions.....
I was the 2nd oldest in the 10K two weeks ago, and when the guy won the 70 plus age group, I photo bombed him. Great guy....still fairly fast (faster than I will be then!) and he found it amusing.....oddly enough, most other people find me less amusing......

No comments: