Total Pageviews

Monday, January 28, 2019

Sticky Progress!


No, I'm not talking about a new Mary Jane strain, but how difficult it has been to scratch out much improvement since returning to running. I am now covering about 28-30 kilometers a week over my 4 weekly runs, with my longest thus far being 9.5 kilometers. Will attempt to get to a steady 10K, 8K, 6K, and 6K weekly set of runs going forward. That has proven more doable so far as compared to getting some basic speed back. Simply trying to get to a comfortable 5 MPH pace, and have incorporated some tempo work on one of the shorter runs each week to try and get there. Don't really know if it is my weakened heart, the 2 year layoff, or just aging that are making this so difficult. The largest performance decline in endurance exercise comes between age  60-69....a total decline of 30.7%,  much greater by far than any other ten year age span. So who knows the why, but so far, I have generally only gotten about 15 seconds per kilometer closer to where I want to get, which is still 30 seconds a kilometer from my goal. So I will trot along, keep plugging at it, and see where we end up by the time the excellent shirtless weather comes......

No comments: