Total Pageviews

Friday, March 29, 2019

Failure IS an option!


Well after missing 2 years due to all this heart nonsense, my goals for April 1st were to get to 4 hours of running weekly, and covering 5 miles/8K consistently in those hours. Neither goal has been hit. I have had 3 different weeks in the last 2 months where I hit 4 hours plus, but have not done it with any  consistency. Last week was my best week in those 6 months, including one run of 10K, but that was followed by this week which has been awful. As far as speed goes, I have done some tempo runs and cruise intervals where I have gotten the pace into an acceptable range, but not a complete run. So, I guess I will continue to attempt those two goals regularly, but doubt I will hit the first consistently, and not sure at this age/stage I will ever get to the 2nd. So in order not to make this harder and less rewarding than it already has been, so long as I get out to run those 4 days a week, I will try to just be satisfied with the results I get. You can’t always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes....
As far as weights go, I have actually made pretty solid progress, especially over the last 2 months. I lift on those 3 non running days. I have been moving toward 5X5 lifting on the big compound exercises....5 sets of 5 reps. I then finish with 2 or 3 sets on the focused muscle exercises. Then finish with a labrada 40 gram protein drink. Will never get any bigger, especially at this age, but have gotten stronger.
Getting another echo in July....heart doc wants to check how major/minor my aortic prolapse is. If it is getting worse, need to consider getting it repaired before it gets bad enough to need to be replaced....could be a factor in my endurance struggles....

No comments: