Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Phase 2.....Aerobic Base Building!


O.K., now that it appears that I am musculoskeletally able to start to train, it is time for phase 2. This should last from march thru june or more, for a total of at least 12 weeks. The Heart Rate Monitor is in charge here. My goal is to get up to 5 plus hours of total running a week at a heart rate that does not steadily exceed 132 BPM. Now this is hard on the ego, because you find out how unfit you are in your current condition. When I was aerobically fit before the crash, I could run about 10 minute miles at that heart rate for up to 2 hours in a long run. Right now, after some embarrassment at the gym today on the treadmill, I had to slow to 12 minute miles to keep the damn heart rate below 135 for my hour run. CRAP! Lots of work to do. Phase 2 wont end until I can at least run an hour and a half of 10 minute miles at that heart rate goal. Since I am turning 60 next year and want to try and do some fun events, I may even extend base building to a longer period and closer to 6 hours if my frame can stand it. We shall see. For now, turtle boy needs to slow it down even further.

1 comment:

TerribleTerry said...

12minute miles plus a 30mph raging wind.....hmmm...You'll be BLAZING through the neighborhood.